Evento en Río Serpis (Gandia, Valencia)
Presentation of the associations CIREF (Iberian Centre for river Restoration), AEMS-Ríos con Vida, and Wetlands International, Plataforma ciutadana per el riu Serpis, and other organizing NGOs;
– Explanation with informative panels on the ecology of rivers and the importance of fish migrations around the world (posters);
– Explanation about the dams and other barriers that hinder the fish passage, in the upstream or downstream direction in the Serpis River in the region of La Safor.
– Explanation of how a fish passage should work on a barrier;
– In situ measurement of water quality variables by students; conductivity, dissolved oxygen, pH, temperature.
– Sampling of aquatic macroinvertebrates, to be observed in binocular magnifying glass, before being returned back to the same aquatic habitat;
– Demonstration by AEMS-Valencia, of how imitations of insects are made for fly fishing, in the fishing modality known as catch and release, or conservation fishing, which returns the live specimens to the river;
– demonstration of how to measure the variables to know the passability of an obstacle (fords or culverts)
– Picnic (funded by the Iberian River Restoration Centre and Wetlands International-European Association)
– Explanation of other possible measures or actions to improve the ecological status of the river, according to the specific place of the visit; discussion with attendees on the most appropriate measures, taking into account the possible short-term effects of climate change.
Online Event - No
Country - Spain
Name of contact person - Francisco Martinez Capel